When I was pregnant with our son two years ago, I fell in love with pumpkin spice. I had never been a big fan before but suddenly it was everything I needed. I would put pumpkin pie spice in my coffee every day. This is something that has stuck with me since that pregnancy. Since then I have been more adventurous in my baking and have dable into the realm of pumpkin baking. With our son starting solid food last fall we also cooked pumpkin for him (he really forced us to become more adventurous in our eating too – we wanted him to eat nutrient dense foods and therefore we would too!).
This fall, with having our CSA baskets generally with a pumpkin or two we have been roasting pumpkins quite regularly for baking. We have tried a few recipes (Chai Pumpkin Bread being the favourite). All the baking I was doing inspired me to try and create my own recipe with pumpkin. So drawing on my experience with other grain free baking I came up with this recipe. It took me a few tries to get it to a good place where I was ready to post. Tom and I gave it the approval as did our 20 month old son so we are now ready to share.
If you try this recipe please share your thoughts and suggestions. I’m not claiming to be an expert but I think it’s pretty good.
Pumpkin Muffins (makes 1 dozen)
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 banana, mashed
- 1/4 coconut oil
- 3 eggs, wisked
- 2 TBSP liquid honey
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- Optional: raisins, chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F/185C.
- In a small bowl mix the wet ingredients (pumpkin, mashed banana, coconut oil, eggs, honey and vanilla) until well combined.
- In a larger bowl combine the dry ingredients (almond flour, baking soda, and spices).
- Pour wet ingredients into the large bowl and mix well. If adding raisins or chocolate chips mix in.
- Place muffin liners in the tray and fill each one with 1/4 cup of batter.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes (until a fork or toothpick can be inserted and removed without crumbs).
Let us know if you try this recipe!